Monday, August 5, 2013

Key Largo, Montego...

I've got a pretty great life.  My parents invited me to North Carolina for my actual birthday weekend
and Wes flew me down to The Keys for the weekend after.  His college buddies were getting
together for Mini Lobster season and I got to tag along!

(After my flight landed in Key West, Wes brought me down to this little photo opportunity.)

(Our home for the weekend.  Brett did a great job picking out the place for the week that they were all there!)

(The next morning we got up bright and early, which was still sleeping in for me, 
to head out and get our limit of lobster for the day!)

(Wes and I on the boat!)

(My fins for the day!  Catching lobster is more difficult than I thought it would be.
I'm not sure what I had imagined in my head exactly, but this wasn't it.)

(After I finally caught a lobster (but he wasn't big enough to keep) I decided to take a page out of the
 "Real Housewives of Key West" handbook and tan on the boat while Wes caught the rest of the lobster for me:))

(Viola!  I sit on the boat and this is what Wes comes back with.  
Those Housewives really have the right idea.)

(We spent the whole day boating from one lobster hole to another lobster hole in pursuit of our daily limit.)

(Mr. Lobster meet OPI's Cajun Shrimp.)

(Boys snorkling and looking at nurse sharks.)

(Lobster in the lobster hole.  Them suckers can be hard to get out!)

(The new captain of our ship!)

(Big bugs from day one!)

(Catch of the day.)

(Boys and bugs.)

(Marathon was an interesting little town.  There was really only one bar... called The Brass Monkey.  After Mini Lobster Season they have what they call "Christmas in July" with a pig roast and lots of prizes and drink specials.  I made out big that night with a Jawbone Jambox, several hats and t-shirts, a Jack Daniels koozie & hat, and a neon bar sign.  I was quite the lucky duck.)

(Ashland and I taking a break outside next to this mini submarine thing. 
You can check out more about these little puppies on kickstarter.com.)

(Sleepy boy.)

0.jpg
(The next day we went snorkeling at Sombrero Reef.  It was some of the clearest, bluest water I've ever seen and my first real experience snorkling.  Wes and I swam with snook, barracuda, hog fish, and all kinds of tropical fish.  It was amazing.  Next time I will be bringing my own underwater camera for sure!) 

 (Wes and I finished out the trip with a night in Miami.  South beach was crazy.  Amid torrential downpours we got some of the best margaritas of our lives and had excellent live entertainment at Mango's.)

(At brunch the next morning.


(Imagine that, Wes is sleeping again.)

No comments:

Post a Comment